Friday, August 13, 2010

Biba's Boston: 15 -The Haley House Cafe and Bakery

I have approximately 13 days before I leave Boston and move to New York. It's been an amazing 9 years, full of growth, love, strength, pain, friends, and snow. In those 9 years, there are neighborhood spots that I have grown to love. Earlier in the year, I started to reminisce over some of my favorite locations in Boston. I called the entry Just a Lil Reminiscing. In my last 13 days as a Boston resident, I'll continue to look back and will write about my favorite 15 places in Boston. Here we go!!

Number 15: The Haley House Cafe and Bakery


How can you not love a place where there are food and community development happening at the same time? A place whose goal is "challenging the attitudes and systems that perpetuate suffering" and "is to create economic sustainability for under employed women and men and to nurture the Dudley Square community."
Haley House is located in the heart of Dudley and has been around since 1966. I first heard about the Haley House from my days at BC. The Haley House was a common volunteer spot for students. I don't remember exactly when I went there the first time, but I do remember thinking, "This is a beautiful spot." And the food was on point, so you know that wins in my book!!! (My favorites are their Dade St. Grilled Cheese, Mac and Cheese side, and their chocolate chip cookies!)

There's so much to take in when you walk in the door of the cafe. The environment is warm -there's art on the walls, one wall is a chalkboard, the walls of the bathroom are newspaper articles about the cafe, the customers come from all different backgrounds and range in age, and the staff members are extremely warm. It's one of the few places in Boston where I know someone is gonna greet me with a smile and patience. For someone as cheesy as me, that means a lot.

As I began to spend a little more time there, I learned more about the mission of the Haley House Cafe and really appreciated their sustainable approach to community development. They want the folks of the neighborhood to benefit from them being there. There is a 6 month training program where trainers prepare food for the cafe and wholesale bakery. After the training program, Haley House helps the trainees find jobs. While it may seem like a small thing that they are doing, I love the idea that they are a small business that is using as much of its resources for the benefit of the members in the community, as opposed to the company's monetary gain. Maybe that's what makes the place a little warmer than other spots. They know what they are doing and why they are doing it. It's a place that can nurture body, spirit, and soul, and isn't that what food is supposed to do?!

No comments: