Monday, August 16, 2010

Biba's Boston: 12 -Artists for Humanity

Number 12: Artists for Humanity, Epicenter
Any organization that develops young people in a healthy, sustainable, and effective way is okay by me.
Actually, places like that make me really happy. AFH encourages the growth of young artists by paying them to do and sell their art! They have both art and academic mentors at the organization and have studio time for the students to work on their projects. Painting is probably their biggest studio but they also have sculpture, video, fashion, printing, and graphic design.I first learned about AFH from two of my students who are amazing artists. I was teaching them English at summer school 2 years ago and they constantly talked about AFH and their mentor Rob aka Pro Blak, a member of one of the oldest graf/art crews in Boston. Since they knew I loved art as well they encouraged me to come and see what they did after class.


The Epicenter is located in South Boston and it's pro
bably one of the coolest buildings I've ever seen. It's one of the greenest buildings in Boston. It recently just won Boston Business Journal's Green Business Summit Award. Much of the materials used to make the Epicenter are recycled and the cooling and heating systems are all natural. They leave the windows open at night to release the warm air and close the windows during the day to keep the cool air in. They also have huge solar panels for energy.


While the exterior of the building is gorgeous it's what's happening inside the building that makes all the difference in the world. The day I saw it for the first time, I met Maliek and Mushri at the Epicenter and they brought me around the building . They took me up to the painting studio and what I saw there was probably one of the most powerful things I've ever experienced. I saw at least 50 young people working hard on their paintings. Some were laughing, talking, and/or consulting with one another while others had headphones on and were zoning out to their work. Still others were getting feedback from the painting mentors. It was a beautiful sight, and even though I've seen it so many times by now, it still makes me feel so dope when I go into that studio. The energy in there is raw and real and indescribable.


Along with the beautiful art that's being created, the staff there is amazing. Over time, I came to know some of the folks who work there, and when my homegirl Sahra got back from L.A. she joined AFH's staff as well. They have a lot of love for art, the youth and their development and I have so much respect for the work that they do with the babies. I'm so glad I got to know them and the organization.




They have studio ever Tuesday and Thursday, they have an awesome/fun fundraiser every year in April, and they sell the students' work, of course. If you're in Boston and you've never been, you MUST go check it out and experience it for yourself!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

AWW DOPE ASS POST BEEBS!!! THANKS FOR THE LOVE AND SPREADING THE LIGHT!!! WE LOVE YOU JUST AS MUCH <3