Sunday, August 15, 2010

Biba's Boston: 13 -The Paradise Rock Club

Number 13: The Paradise Rock Club


I can't remember how many times I've been to The Paradise Rock Club in my nine years in Boston. I love, love, love going to concerts there. Aside from Sculler's Jazz Club and The Middle East, it's one of the most intimate places to listen and watch a musician perform. I once told a friend that I like being so close to the artist that you could kiss him or her. It's an amazing space and if you get there early enough, you're pretty much guaranteed front row, sweat dripping of the singer, hand grabbing action. I particularly enjoy the front of the space where the large post is at so you can lean on it when you get tired! :) Even when you're at the back of the club, you're still pretty close.


Some of the greats I've seen there are Alice Smith, Corinne Bailey Rae, Zap Mama (a couple of times), Femi Kuti, Goapele, Saul Williams, and Raphael Saadiq. Alice Smith performed in the lounge and we were so close to her -she can blow!!!! I was able to see Goapele and get her autograph, and stood front row with Tamy at Raphael Saadiq and definitely got a hand grab from him (I know, on some groupie status).



The last time I saw Zap Mama was last fall, in October, a little bit after my birthday. My girl Cristina and I were catching up after years of not seeing one another. We copped spots right in front of the stage and enjoyed Zili Musik and Zap Mama to the fullest. Also, one of my favorite singers, the lead from Fertile Ground was backing up for Zap Mama. Towards the middle/end of the show, Marie calls out for folk to sing on the mic. Of course, tall ass Cristina is behind me pointing at me without me knowing. Marie looks right at me, opens her eyes wide with expectancy and hands me the mic. After trying to refuse, I realize it would be so WHACK if I punked out with Zap Mama so I grabbed the mic. I didn't know what to do and she moved to dj something but I just busted out and freestyled some ridiculousness thanking her for coming to sing and being soooo fly. Hahaha. She looked at me surprised and I have to say it was one of the best birthday gifts EVER!!




That's probably one of my best memories in Boston and it all happened at a little spot called the Paradise Rock Club!!!


No comments: