
The daily reflection stood out to me in particular, because,
for those of you who know me, you know that order and constancy are not my thing. I have trained myself to be orderly and constant when I have to. Teaching has been a huge part of me becoming somewhat more organized and much more diligent in my work. There are, of course, moments when I really fall off. The past few weeks have been an example of that. I've been on early vacation, just like most of my seniors. While I've been praying to do a good job, for the past 3 days, today's reflection really slapped me in the face. It was from St. Josemaria, and it said,
"How short indeed is the time of our passing through this world! For the true Christian, these words ring deep down in his heart as a reproach to his lack of generosity, and as a constant invitation to be loyal. Brief indeed is our time for loving, for giving, for making atonement. It would be very wrong, therefore, for us to waste it, or to case this treasure irresponsibly overboard. We mustn't squander this period of the world's history that God has entrusted to each one of us....Persevere in exact fulfillment of the obligations of the moment. That work -humble, monotonous, small -is prayer expressed in action that prepares you to receive the grace of the other work -great and wide and deep -of which you dream."
Not only had I dropped off, I had definitely been feeling major irritation with folks around me and definitely with my students. My negative attitude, though, is for sure a "lack of generosity." The way that St. Josemaria expresses the importance of our time and our work -the opportunity to serve others and the danger of "squandering" that gift really made me think again about how I want to act in my work environment and reminded me of the value of continuing to do my best, instead of giving in to the rut. Yes, I'm weak. But I'm thankful for moments like this when I can ask for help and be strengthened by the Higher Powers.
No comments:
Post a Comment