Ugh, so typical -you're always thinking the grass is greener...then, BOOM! Reality check!
I am fast approaching my 27th birthday. The completion of my 26 years has brought the ticking of biological clocks and being baby crazy. I have always loved kids, but some of my friends around me think it's a new issue that has become a psychosis. I tend to disagree -they just don't like kids. I can't lie, though, I definitely felt more vigorous pulsating of my ovaries (I'm joking...kinda) with the arrival of my childhood best friend's first child, Anthony. The first time I held him I was like, "Yeah, I could definitely go for this!" He's so darned cuddly.
Welcome, Baby Anthony!
But then I'll spend time with my friends who have kids and be like, "Ummmm, nah." This weekend at the Ranch was a huge reminder of how I am soooo not trying to have kids right now -not that it's completely my choice anyway, but still, it was a great reminder for me to be happy and at peace with where I'm at right now in my life -sans boyfriend, sans husband, sans babies.
Mondays with the Godfreys

There was a huge convening of Castros at the ranch which included two tweens, one 5 year old, one toddler, and one 9 month old. I've watched the two tweens grow up right before my eyes. I was younger when they were babies and toddlers though, so didn't take too much notice of how my aunt and uncle raised them.
These two have grown before my eyes.
This weekend, though, I did have the opportunity to watch my aunts and uncles parent the three little ones real time, and it was a TRIP!! I really, really had to admire my aunts' and uncles' patience with their little ones. I particularly liked my Tito PJ's low talking voice with his girls. I want to develop that instead of the shriek of frustration that I'm sure I'd be apt to use if I had two little gals on my hands. The job of parenting is tireless. One minute one wants a cookie, and then a drink, and then a toy, and then your ear for one of their stories, and then to pet the dog, and then to play, and then to rest. Meanwhile, the other wants the same exact thing in exactly the opposite order!
Ingo getting ready for her bath.
Cousin bathtime
Tito PJ with the shampoo mohawk

How can you not want to eat them?
Stacia with her favorite donkey
Winnie with her mama

Bedtime: They so don't look sleepy

Jenny and Tito Al are out of town for two days and left Ingrid's baby schedule with us and it is hour by hour with so few breaks. I love that little girl so much, she is such a sweet baby, but dang, that is round the clock!! And I can't imagine what it would be like with a child who needs more attention than Ingrid -she really is such an agreeable baby. Maybe all of this sounds naive (like "Duh, Biba!"), but it's really a different story when you watch all this happen minute by minute.
Afternoon walk
Please don't fall, kid.

Gourmet baby food chef
All in a day's work -the diaper change
I thought teaching was full time (I never dared think it the equivalent to parenting), but I had my own space, my own time, my own rules, etc. So much of your attention just goes to your babies and all your energy becomes your children. It's amazing! While I was never the type to view the job of parenting in a disdainful or fearful way the way I hear lots of folks my age addressing parenting, I am in NO RUSH after this weekend. My energy was sucked out just watching my aunts and uncles with their kids and spending time with the little gals myself.
Big ups to all the parents in my life. Full time parents, full time professionals, full time heroes and sheroes in our midst!!
No comments:
Post a Comment