Friday, September 3, 2010

Biba's Boston: 7 -Redline


Our absolute favorite night time spot in the Cambridge area. Maybe I should just say it was mine and admit that I coerced each and every one of my friends to make Redline our spot? Guilty, hehe!

Redline, 2007. THROWBACK!! Our version of trying in 2007. lol.

We’re a chill group of young folks in my crew. We don’t like lines, dressing up to the nines, paying $15 for a drink, or sunglasses in the club. Our ideal spot is a casual lounge that plays good music, has space to dance it out, has inexpensive drinks, and is a nice space for brown folks. (Somebody is sooo reading this and being like, "Speak for yourself, Biba!")

We started out going there on Fridays when DJ KC Hallett, a sweet, smiley, intuitive dj would be playing a great mix of deep house, dancehall, and hip hop (KC now dj's other spots and events in Boston in case you're interested, and you should be!). On Fridays, we would leave sweating (remember that, Oli?)! Occasionally, we would drop in on Saturdays when the more conventional Top 40 was on, but Fridays were our nights. We’d always try to stake out the brown folks either in the very front of the room where the dj booth was, or at the very back to get some air from the vents. If there was space, we’d venture to the middle of the bar, against the partition (just giving you ideas in case you decide to go!).

After going there a while, some of the staff began to recognize us as regulars. Bryant and Claudell are some of the best bouncers in Cambridge and the bartenders are sweethearts. I can always count on them for a tasty mint gimlet (sorry folks, no mojitos –go to Middlesex for a good mojito) and some water to rehydrate. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that I’m a cheerful female customer.

Redline has changed on Fridays. We don’t have the same fabulous KC as before. Now Fridays are disappointing compared to when KC was there, but Saturdays have gotten better with the new dj who plays dancehall and hiphop the majority of the time. No matter what happens, I always know I have a place to go dance it up whenever I’m back in Boston! I guess it's like my version of Cheers, but not everybody knows my name...uhhh, nevermind.

3 comments:

~IkilEzi~ said...

I love a) the new flyyyyyy blog spot!! and b) the beautiful memories...its truly a mystery and blessing that a memory can live on so long, to make one smile big w/ recognition yeeaaars later!

keep it up mami, love you & peace to all my Redline Familia!!

myhanh said...

yessss! i think i'm adopting redline as my new spot. thank you for the memories. xo

Ms. Fu-Daddy said...

Awww, thanks for the feedback Oli!! I was soo hoping to get feedback from folk! Love you!!