Friday, January 29, 2010

This is Why I Don't Watch TV

Recently, my Ipod crashed (yes, I’m taking donations), and because of this I hook my earphones to the tv on the treadmill when I’m at the gym in the morning. I haven’t lived with a tele in my crib for about five years now because I don’t feel like dealing with cable bills when I don’t really have time to veg in front of the tv . Also, I be thinking too much when I watch the tube. When you wanna veg, you wanna veg, but my ass will sit in front of the tv analyzing every single thing that is going on til the next commercial break. Then my dumbbutt will analyze the commercials. After taking Professor Watson’s classes I cannot stop. He really helped make me conscious about all of the subtle and not so subtle images of people of color on the tv.

This morning, after watching the College Ball highlights, I turned to CNN. After a while, I stopped watching CNN because it would make me either laugh or angry. But, I turned to it again today, just to see. Immediately, I was struck by images of Haitians “looting,” and the words, “Security forces say they don’t have enough manpower to control the looting…” The next image was of “Haitians celebrating and unifying in the street.”

So, all they do is loot or dance. No highlights of Haitians who are actually coming up with solutions, Haitians who HAVE been working in their OWN community and meeting their people’s needs…NOPE. Just brown people violent or dancing and singing. How typical. (Side note: If anyone is interested in Haitian folk doing the work for themselves, check out: The Lambi Fund and the Haitian Emergency Relief Fund).

After shaking my head in disgust, I turned the channel to Mtv. I was hoping for a music video to jam to. Instead, I got The Buried Life. What do I see but four white boys crossing off items on their "Things to do before I die list" –cool. Then, I see one image where they raised money for an IMac for a class of Black kids. It’s all well and good to contribute to donate…that’s ILL. But, the IMAGE itself was bananas!! As two of the white boys thanked the class for all their help, the other two white boys walked in holding the Imac like a Holy Grail, Mac raised high over their heads. Then, all the kids start clapping in utter joy. Innocent to the naked eye, maybe even awesome, trendy, or cool, but damn, it was deep.

Right now, I’m writing this on the bus to New York. Some white folks are watching Blind Side with Sandra Bullock saving a black boy. I can’t believe some of the shit that I’m seeing in this movie. This blond ass woman is helping this him make it in society. When she goes to visit him in his neighborhood, she encounters some of the neighborhood troublemakers who of course, have to utter some type of sexual innuendo, and of course, she has to put them in her place. Then there is a scene with people from his neighborhood in the newspaper next to headlines of disaster and mayhem while he’s walking safely in a white world, safe and happy because of this white lady who showed him the world. Nothing good comes of the community except for him with her help. I’m so disgusted. I can figure all of this out, without HEARING the DIALOGUE. Seriously?! And even if I’m wrong about the scenes, that’s what it LOOKS LIKE!! Somebody who watched the movie, please tell me I’m wrong, I might feel a little less frustrated if that’s the case. Just for those of you at home watching, do check out one of 345 Washington's favorite YouTube Videos: Nice White Lady.

There was more media than I'm used to today, but through all of today's media frenzy, there was one shining moment


-Akeelah and the Bee. I watched it for the second time as part of our weak

diversity training at work today. At least it was a good movie, but even Akeela has its faults. The Chiu family -I mean come on! Why does the father have to be so stereotypical? I appreciated at the end that Dylan ended up choosing to move away from the Asian American stereotype, but dang, why the lack of complexity. I thought they did a pretty good job portraying the resources and strength of the Black community -she didn't have to go outside of her neighborhood for help and Professor Larabee used culturally relevant literature to help improve her vocabulary.

Maybe I'm asking too much. Oh well, I guess .75 out of 4 ain't so bad? :-/ Womp.

No comments: