Saturday, December 25, 2010

PI Day 62 -My Christmas Love Affair


Every now and again we'll be driving quickly through Manila or a province and I will become overwhelmed by love for this country. Despite the traffic, the poverty, the disgusting smog, and the inexcusable corruption I hear in my head a constant chant, "I love this place, I love this place, I love this place."


So it seems this Christmas I have fallen in love -a love that I saw echoed in the words of Jose Rizal in "Mi Ultimo Adios:"

"My dreams, when scarcely a lad adolescent,
My dreams, when already a youth, full of vigor to attain,
Were to see you, gem of the sea of the Orient,
Your dark eyes dry, smooth brow held to a high plane
Without frown, without wrinkles and of shame without stain.

My life's fancy, my ardent, passionate desire,
Hail! Cries out the soul to you, that will soon part from thee;
Hail! How sweet 'tis to fall that fullness you may acquire;
To die to give you life, 'neat your skies to expire,
And in your mystic land to sleep through eternity!"
We'll see where this love affair goes.

No comments: