From the moment I landed here, there are sights and sounds that are quintessentially Pinoy to me. Sure, you can see any of it in other countries, even next door to you, but they make each place what they are. At first, I wanted to take pictures or recordings of these things before posting them, but if I wait to do that these vignettes will never get posted so I'm starting here and now (actually, I started with an entry on street kids from a week or two back).



Today, in honor of 2011, my focus will be the New Year's Paputok, or fireworks. New Year in Manila is wonderful.

Never in my life have I been away from family on New Year's -whether it's New York or the Philippines. I've never done any of the hard partying, paying $200+ to go to a club to drink with people I don't know. Nope, in our family, we ring in the New Year with our family, boring as it may sound.
The folks always put together a nice party, though. In NY, we often get together to watch the ball drop, eat, drink, sing karaoke, and dance on Tito Lino's basement dance space. Here in Manila, though, we blow it up...literally. When I'm here, we usually spend New Year's Eve at Lola Lydia's. She always has a table set up with treats for the New Year. Of course, there are 13 round fruits for good luck as well as coins lining all the windows to bring prosperity for the New Year. God forbid you are not holding money in your hand when the clock strikes 12 -you'll be a pauper if you don't.

The best though, are the fireworks. Here, fireworks are super legal and any old Joe can buy them off the streets. The fireworks actually start before Christmas. Once you hear firecrackers in December, you know the holidays have arrived. On New Year's Eve, though, fireworks and firecrackers are popping at all hours, but really jump off around 12:30am. The sky is lit up with the fireworks coming from different houses in the neighborhood and from the neighborhoods nearby. The beautiful view makes your eyes smile and is accompanied by big vibrations from the explosions. It shakes your skin, making the experience even better. I often wish my friends and family could experience a PI New Year's, being so close to the paputok themselves, but since you can't, I'm writing it here for you and for me!

Happy New Year's, everybody. Whether you're blowing your dough at le club, partying it up with the family, or getting your skin shaken by the paputok in MNL, I hope your New Year is blessed and beautiful!! xoxo.
1 comment:
I love this entry, Biba!!! Being in Hawaii for New Years Eve also means fireworks (and morning after soot and cleanup) EVERYWHERE. It's such a grounding and wonderful to ring in the New Year with family and foods that have meaning than with an overpriced sugary cocktail with hangers on. Guess I'm down with the 'boring,' crowd, but we knew that already. =)
Post a Comment