Friday, November 5, 2010

PI Day 113: Time, Space and Tricknology -A Love Letter

Goodbyes and separation have always been weird with me. When the time comes, I ignore it or I try to treat it with huge pomp. This time, I ignored it and in my first week away it has hit me when I'm awake, alone, late at night or in the early morning -the jet lag a physical reminder of the parts of me that I've left at home.

Time, Space and Tricknology: A Love Letter

Fascinating. With this computer, through these pixels, I can see your faces. I can hear your voices. It’s a weird place that I’m in. My spirit grasps onto the family that we built over the past few years by invisible threads spanning oceans.

But I'm in betweening right now -trying to hold on to sisters and brothers in a way that's just not possible anymore. Your faces on the screen talk TO me,

but it isn't the same as your bodies and souls right next to me, seeing, hearing, living with me.

Like a long distance relationship, we catch up on catching up...the present together not a possibility.

So I wonder what my community will look like here.

It will be small and different from you at home.

You and I, we will speak less and I will live here.

The time and space continuum trips me out. I am the only one awake here. Endless darness meets my eyes out of the window. Everybody is sleeping in the rooms around me. I sit in the shadows, the light of the screen reflecting on my face. The only sounds are my fingers tapping, the wiiirrrr of the fans, and my breath.

I think of you.

You are in the middle of your busy day. The sun is bright and you are one of many people hustling to the next thing -class, meetings, lunch, train, students, account, computer -all things you do in the sunlight.

You drop me a quick line in passing, a quick smile, a quick hello, a hug, a kiss, a silent prayer, while I am here pondering the differences in our lives in this millisecond...

.0...1...2....3...4...5...

In my stillness, I close my eyes and imagine you...

Methods and time change, but

Our love does not.

I miss you.

See you soon.



No comments: