"The thing is we are not all monolithic; we have our own ideas and concepts. I have a right to use my imagination. I’m for the individual and embracing the things that make us all unique. If your art is moving people, I say continue. I’m uniting." -Janelle Monae

This album is full of LIFE -a complete contrast to the death that has been overshadowing my life. Beautifully composed -this makes me want to weep every time I hear it. In the interview below, Monae talks about why her music is so full of life. SO MUCH RESPECT!!
"I've had a lot of experiences that have shaped the way that I am as a young woman and among the few were certain instances like dealing with a drug addict in the home and having cousins who were selling dope. You know, just growing up around people that were walking dead...I've always felt like I had to be a leader. I've had to give others options and hope and I've had to lead by example to let them know that there is life outside of an environment that may be...to be politically correct, a little disadvantaged." -Janelle Monae
No comments:
Post a Comment