Saturday, April 24, 2010

Impure Dreams

Touch down in the city
Hit by heat
The scent of burnt garbage
Fills my nostrils
And I sigh, feeling at home.

Dust encrusts itself on my contacts
I can feel it filling my lungs -ah, home
I miss these smells in my
Infrastructured Friday
Garbage and recycling pickup
Landfilled first world city

What's sanitation got to do with it?

My garbaged reverie
Is interrupted
By the smell of deisel fuel
And my sinuses sting.
Fuck, I hate that smell.

As my dieseled headache
And nausea begin
I grab another
Quick whiff of burning garbage
And charcoal fires
Yes! Thank you Jesus!
I breathe in
As far as my lungs will go

The smoky dream
Is once again broken
This time by unsanitary waste management
Or should I say
the non management of waste?
Shit and urine violate
My charcoaled dreams

I pray to the nostril gods that
I will pass another charcoal fire
Another family burning garbage
Behind their mixed media housing

Deforestation and ozone depletion reign
I breathe in again
Knowing my dreams
Will only be interrupted
Again

No comments: