In college I took a course called Applications of Learning Theory. It was a class that taught you how to learn. Through this class, I saw the real value in having regimented learning habits. Without these daily practices, I was in a hazy academic world with concepts, theories, facts, and figures floating around me in every directions. By implementing them one was supposed to gain the habits and skills that would make him or her a top notch student. It's very similar to the AVID program (Advancement via Individual Determination), which takes mediocre students and equips them with the skills to achieve academically and socially.
Even when I took the class, there was still a residue of haziness with different things that I took part in -student organizing activities, academics, athletics, even singing. There was very little clarity in my undergraduate life (not that there's much more now) because of all the distractions I indulged in.
This weekend though, I had some oddly clear experiences that made me question and reflect upon my own growth and my ability to "apply theory." On Friday, I came home from an unbearably long week at work and decided to play basketball outside. I stepped on the court and my jump shots were unusually consistent. My thought process was active, but certainly not strained or hazy as I had remembered it to feel in the past. I simply made shot after shot after shot. I thought, "Whoa, what's going on? How come I wasn't this good in high school?"
Yesterday, I sang at a gig with my acapella group. I sang three solos and afterwards, an old friend said to me, "You have really stepped up your singing! It's not that you weren't good before, but you're on a whole other level now." I had realized this in the midst of my three songs and wondered to myself, "How is this possible? I haven't taken a voice lesson in years!! Why do I feel like such a strong singer?"
Yesterday, I sang at a gig with my acapella group. I sang three solos and afterwards, an old friend said to me, "You have really stepped up your singing! It's not that you weren't good before, but you're on a whole other level now." I had realized this in the midst of my three songs and wondered to myself, "How is this possible? I haven't taken a voice lesson in years!! Why do I feel like such a strong singer?"

In the past three and a half years as a teacher, I've been forced to develop a regiment for myself. My lesson plans have gone from notes in a notebook to organized documents with a purpose. The basketball and the singing seem to be manifestations of the clarity of mind that I have been forced to develop in the service of young people. They seem to be manifestations of a maturity that I am beginning to love and truly appreciate.
While some folks fear becoming slave to the same old shit everyday, folks like me need to be fearful of becoming a slave to a lack of inconsistency and the perception that if I do the same things everyday, life will lose its spontaneity and excitement. I hear that, but even with regiments or habits in place, one never knows what the day will bring, especially working with all these people around me, they're bound to have different reactions every second, minute, or day that I'm with them.
Here's to growing in maturity. Yes it comes with more responsibility, but I hope we treasure the years and the experience that we gain through time. And to celebrate becoming "Grown Folks," here's Choklate with a message for us:
No comments:
Post a Comment