Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Asian American Leading Man?

Sometimes I have an imagination that completely runs away with itself. This morning, as I was washing dishes, Janelle Monae's The Chase began playing. There is a moment where her leading man is speaking in awe of all her talents and abilities. As I was imagining the scene in my mind a question popped up in my head, "What race is this dude?!" I assumed he'd be black, but what if, in a potential music video, they chose a white man to play her leading man? Then I thought, "Whoa, what if they chose and Asian American dude to play the lead role?! What would happen if there were more Asian American leading men in romantic roles with women of different races?" Seems like that could do so much for the piss poor image Asian American men are challenged with today. And I'm telling you, there are some fly Asian American brothers out there that get NO PLAY in the media. If you know bout them in real life, you're like, part of a secret society or something...or you live on the West Coast. No offense, East Coast fam!
At the same time, the media is superficial in its structure, so we shouldn't need those media positions to affirm the flyness of our men, because they are...full stop. I'm just saying though...what if...?


1 comment:

myhanh said...

i'm tellin' you- the three of us should start our mail-order husband site. our compatriots would certainly benefit!