Saturday, April 5, 2008

History of a History Teacher


Teaching is something that runs in my blood. I recently learned that there is a tradition of teachers on my father's side of the family. They were advocates who believed in the power of young people. My maternal grandmother raised 6 girls on her own. If that's not a teacher, I don't know what is.

I have to admit that when it comes to discussing professions, I am somewhat elitist in my thinking. For some reason, the prestige that has forever been alloted to other professions was something that I always assigned to the teaching profession. I have had my share of extended familial condescension when my choice to pursue teaching has been discussed, but it has never swayed me. Truly, I have wanted to be a teacher since I was 7 -never a doctor or lawyer. (There was a time when I wanted to be a famous singer or dancer, but teaching affords me all the stage I need).

When I reached high school, I had such a wonderful experience being a young person that it made me want to influence young people's development in a positive way. During a trip to Rome for the Jubilee Year, I remember Pope Paul II praising the power of young people. He said that we had the most power to make change because of our clarity in thought and heart, in addition to our energy and ability to love. Huge mentors like the Pope and everyday mentors like Maria and Mr. Ross helped me see how enriching teaching could be.

Teaching at a summer program in the Bronx for young women also encouraged me to continue my education in education. Rosedale taught me that community youth organizations could be a healthy and holistic approach to bringing up young people. These are some of the influences that brought me to the teaching profession, and I have been learning ever since.

No comments: